All of those People below You
And beneath Me, only Dirt
But the Clouds still crowd Our View
Sometimes it is hard to catch sarcasm through text. Given this, is it more efficient to take everything literally, or to assume all is sarcastic? There is always the risk of one not understanding the context of sarcasm, but then there is always the risk of one not being intellectual enough to understand. Some may work to prevent misconstrusion, but I do not. For example, if 75% of the people who read this entry do not understand the word "misconstrusion" just because it doesn't appear in a dictionary, then I can determine that my target audience is the remaining 25%. I, like a colleague of mine, don't care about pleasing people. This brings me to the complex subject of ego and narcissism that I will address at a later date.
I am thinking.
Who were the Angels?
You make words up for fun, don't you? If it's not in the dictionary, its not a word. But if you depend on the intellectual 25% to understand the meaning of the word you assume can be understood because you understand it, then that's alright too.
Like I said, beautiful in a neurotic way. » juiCyy
on 2005-08-08 12:04:21 I can't help but strongly disagree.
New words are added to the intellectual base of known English every day, due to prefixes and suffixes. "Misconstrusion" could easily be one of these words. I'm sure if someone knows the definition of the compound root (and any educated person will be able to discover this based on elementary construction of words), that they can easily discern the meaning of the noun version I've created. Don't be afraid to experiment with language. We need more Shakespeares. » Bartholomew
on 2005-08-08 12:12:06 Hmmm...
I think I know what misconstrusion means...does that make me a target audience? Do I want to be somebody's target? Also, yes, some of the best words known were made up by Shakespeare, I knew some, but now no longer do. I think "bubble" might have been one, I may be wrong. » KatnicityAnnToTheMax
on 2005-08-08 09:23:46
The man made up thousands of words. It's really truly remarkable the percentage of our language that was created by him. » Bartholomew
on 2005-08-08 09:32:10
Shakespeare is my beloved idol. Where would the English language be without him? Speaking French, of course. » little-b
on 2005-08-08 09:56:48 Misinterpret?
Mmm. I don't think I'd mind speaking French. » chocobopnai
on 2005-08-08 09:58:46 hii
liking your entries... thought provoking.. keep it up =) » tiltingtomatoe
on 2005-08-09 01:47:51
Sorry, you do not have permission to comment.
If you are a member, try logging in again or accessing this page here.